6.08.2011

"Shoosh. I sure hope he makes the finals."

For as many extracurricular hours I've spent reading, writing, and learning firsthand about goats and how they relate to landscape architecture, you had to know that it was only a matter of time before I found a way to bring 'goatscaping' into the classroom. Our Urban Design final project was the perfect opportunity. The parameters were open-ended, and the presentation date fell on Cinco de Mayo. Of course I was going to roast a goat.

My classmate Eric Marlowe and I chose to follow up on an earlier project - the urban revitalization of downtown Watkinsville, a small town near Athens. In that project, I proposed goats as part of the solution to reclaim a valuable urban forest.

I knocked on a few doors, but it appears none of Watkinsville's urban citizens are eager to host goats in their backyard for a few days. Instead, we revisited the idea of keeping a small herd at my house.

Feeding time at the Cul-de-Sac Farm

For a little under a week, we watched, filmed, and photographed our modest herd doing what they do best. In less than 48 hours, they had stripped every bamboo leaf within reach and sheared our monkey grass mounds to the ground. The remaining landscape was drastically improved. Mission accomplished.

Three of the four goats were returned to Miss Charlie's farm. The fourth is pictured below, the centerpiece of our presentation:

Dougie Shoutout to Eric for his extremely hands-on involvement in the entire butchering and cooking process.

Prior to Presentation Day, Eric and I requested the half-way point recess for our time slot. The goal was to move our audience through an outdoor exhibit, culminating in a heaping plate cabrito and veggies. After a brief introduction, the masses were released to check out a video, slide show, poster boards, and a pre/post goat example. We even had past goat herd owners Willy and Dana present to shake hands and answer questions.



All told, 30 to 40 people (and one dog) stopped by the studio to learn more about goatscaping and eat with friends. Muchas gracias for attending. I have a hunch this won't be the last time I roast a goat on campus...

To see more pictures from the presentation, click here. When I get a free minute, I'll make the video available online, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment