4.29.2011

"What about the toe?"


Photo by Kelly Wegel


The sheep on River Road got some more publicity recently at a volunteer privet pruning day. Yours truly even got his name in the campus paper:

"Zach Richardson, a fourth-year landscape architecture major, came out to the event to help clear brush to make way for the sheep.

He is also working on a class project to use goats in a similar way to clear areas of invasive plants.

“I used to live in East Campus and I used to bike past this area,” Richardson said. “That’s part of why I was excited about it because I had wanted to put goats on it.” Richardson and Chandler shared ideas for spreading the concept throughout the community."


The reporter overheard me introduce myself to the sheep's owner, Jennif Chandler. Miss Chandler uses her flock in a very similar way and for all the same reasons I've herded goats. We hit it off immediately. Listening to us talk about husbandry and invasive plants had to be entertaining - two targeted grazing enthusiasts making the same outlandish claims. "We should put goats and sheep everywhere." A couple of tree-huggin' agri-nerds...

Here are the links to the two articles about sheepscaping on campus: The Red & Black and The Athens Banner Herald.


No comments:

Post a Comment