3.25.2011

"We're talking about unchecked aggression here, Dude."

The good news: our wounded hen seems to be slowly recovering. I'm no vet, but it's clear she's starting to act more like a chicken. She even laid an egg today, albeit slightly misshapen. Then Brian dropped it...

The bad news: our rogue predator(s) is still prowling the neighborhood. The closest guess I have after seeing shadowy shapes fleeing the scene is a raccoon. Maybe two. I know, I blew it. That was my chance to prove a point to the little devils.

Plus, I just heard a great horned owl in the backyard for the first time. Right over the chicken run. So, we can chalk owls up to the list of potential predators.

Speaking of the list, I find it fascinating how many people have an opinion on what kind of animals could be stealing from our flock. The boss, the checkout lady at Athens Seed, Grandpa, the roommates. Everybody's got a theory. Whatever it may be, it's getting a lot of attention. What do you think? A penny for your thoughts...

1 comment:

  1. Based on your previous post and pictures, I think it has to be a four-legged critter of some sort. Your hen was wedged between the gate and fence, down low to the ground, leading me to believe that it was dragged there by an animal that is also low to the ground, and small enough to fit in the gap between the gate and fence, too. I imagine that raccoons and foxes and opossums can all shrink down pretty skinny in order to fit through that small gap, especially if they are hungry. But maybe it's something a little more rare and exotic, like some kind of a mink? Are there any such critters known to be in the area?

    ReplyDelete